Wednesday, 5 October 2011

Aims starting to form...

Today I had a group meeting with my project supervisor to discuss where everyone is with their question.  From going into the meeting with vague ideas of what interests me and what I want to create and throwing everything around, I'm finally starting to find an area of study for my dissertation. So some of the ideas that came out of this:

- How can production design, genre and character performance affect the mood/interpretation/meaning of an animation.

- Investigating film-making techniques which apply to specific genres, and experimenting with and merging them to create something different.

- How does production design and genre affect the character performance in an animation.

So yeah, these are all just similar words being thrown around in different ways to start carving out a question from. These areas will need to be looked at further to come up with a refined aim so I can then start looking at what my objectives and methodologies will be but it is the start of... something!


With some project ideas in the back of my mind, someone also suggested looking at the Ark animation. SPOILER!: This setting of a mental hospital actually fits in with one of my story ideas I've been thinking about for a while, and could be a good way to investigate different production design and character performance in my animation.




In other news! I started reading Paul Wells' Understanding Animation this week (something I've been meaning to look at all summer) and am finding it very interesting and inspiring and it will definitely help with some of my investigations. I have Animation:Genre and Authorship by the same author waiting in the queue as well which should also be relevant and useful. Bedtime reading just got a whole lot more... daytime. And less fictional.





No comments:

Post a Comment