Wednesday, 9 November 2011

Experimenting with illustration styles

Some more experimenting with my old toothfairy character in different graphic styles. This time, I have used reference from illustrations only, rather than characters which have already been animated. I'm sure there are plenty of animations out there in the same sort of styles but this way I can animate them without being directly influenced by the reference material. I actually stumbled across a little animation which has the same sort of crazy arms as the Heinrichs' illustrations here, but there's not too much arm movement so I can play around with my own style without being influenced too much.

Andrew Kolb


Kelsey Heinrichs


Oscar Cahen


I'll probably use some of the animation I looked at previously for inspiration, and then try to find similar style characters to see how other animators approached their movement. I'll also look at developing some new characters in different styles, particularly more modern graphic design influenced styles, and maybe some non-human character like animals and monsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment